Cloud Forest Discovery
Lush, green mountains shrouded in mysterious mist makes for a dramatic and breathtakingly beautiful backdrop for the adventure of a lifetime. GATA’s Cloud Forest itineraries span from the colonial city of Quito, deep into the temperate Northern Andes and tropical Western Slope. Besides the rich cloud forest ecosystem, these trips offer a truly authentic community experience. Living, working, and playing with local families who have organized themselves into a productive and sustainable community dedicated to conservation and environmental stewardship has been a life changing experience and favorite destination for many of our travelers.
Cloud Forest Highlights
- Tour colonial Quito, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and best preserved colonial city in South America
- Learn how to salsa dance like a local by taking a class with an internationally renowned latin dance instructor
- Learn how to cook traditional Ecuadorian food with a private cooking class
- Work alongside locals on a variety of community projects such as:
- Organic farming
- Cheese & marmalade making
- Get up early to help milk cows and then enjoy fresh milk for breakfast
- Visit the highest point of the Yunguilla reserve with a 360 viewpoint to take in the spectacular mountain and volcano views
- Play soccer and other games with the community members in the afternoons
- Experience rural Ecuadorian family life by staying in beautiful homes with breathtaking mountain views and sharing meals and down time with your Ecuadorian family
- Hike along an ancient, pre-Incan trail that, over the course of over a thousand years, has been worn down into a tunnel-like pass more than 15 feet deep.
- Tube down a rushing river through looming forested mountains
- Zoom across a green mountain valley on a cable line and hike through the tropical cloud forest to a breathtaking waterfall
- Hold and feed thousands of giant, exotic butterflies at the Mindo Mariposario
- Learn the process of making chocolate from cultivating cacao trees to enjoying a delicious chocolate bar at a small scale chocolate factory.
Itineraries from 1 week to 1+month
For more information, sample itinerary, and prices